The more I keep going to sleep and waking up, I am realizing that life isn’t all about the type of job you have, how popular you are, or how much money you have in the bank. Life is about being free. This freedom I’m writing about has nothing to do with not being jailed physically. Instead, it has everything to do with not being jailed mentally. Below are 5 steps I have discovered that will assist you in being free.
1. Don't Worry About Other Peoples' Opinion - Stop worrying what other people think or will think. Just do you! People will always have something negative and positive to say. You can't control what comes out of their mouths or what's in their heads. The only thing you can control is whether it's true or not. You don't need anyone's approval to be great. If there's something that you truly want to do or be, and it feels good to you, and God has blessed it - then it's all good.
2. Follow Your Own Path - Your journey is your journey. Don't agonize over who's further than you or who's behind you. Everyone has their own path. Run your course at your own pace. Jesus addresses this in the bible (John 21: 18-22). To sum it up, Jesus was telling Peter how he would die, and Peter was asking Jesus how would John die. Jesus simply put him in his place by saying, "What is that to you? You follow me!" Jesus was basically telling Peter to mind his own business and worry about his journey. John's journey is none of his concern. The next time you are wondering why such and such is where they are in their journey, remember - What is that to you? You follow your own path!
3. Take Care of Your Mind – Feed your mind positive food. Read more, listen more, and as a friend once told me - monitor what you monitor. Of course we all have to watch some news to keep abreast of what's going in the world, but it's also a good idea to tune all media outlets out at times. The media has a way of constantly blasting negative news into our brains which can cause stress and fear. Turn that crap off at times; read, listen to some music, or watch a comedy. We've got to stay sane, and the news is not in the business of keeping our minds healthy.
4. Get Spiritually Connected - Believe in a higher power and have faith in it...really have faith in it. When you have a spiritual connection and truly believe in the connection, you won't get wrapped up in the negative things that are happening to you and around you because you know that your peace is not dependent upon those things. Your peace is dependent upon your spiritual connection.
5. Take Responsibility for Your Choices and Your Destiny - Your life is what you make it. Your 5th grade teacher has nothing to do with you being in the situation you're in now, and your junior high basketball coach didn't hold you back from being a great basketball player. Your life is your responsibility. People will be crazy, mean, they will hate, they will try to hold you back, but ultimately it's up to you to still be who you were destined to be. Learn from your experiences, take charge of your life, and stop blaming others for your mishaps.
Following these steps will definitely put you on the path to having a free mind. Your mind is a powerful tool that needs to be opened and healthy so that it can move you in the right direction. Freeing your mind is one of the most spiritual and peaceful things you can do. Let's all vow to have free minds in 2017.